[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 31 16:28:17 EST 2015

I also don't agree. IPv4 and IPv6 can co-exist, and therefore there can be (and is) a gradual transition. There is no requirement for a flag day, and in particular that was one of the design goals for IPv6.*
I try to be a "end-user" at home, because I don't expect non-technical end-users to understand how networking and the Internet works like I do. In other words, at home, I normally just expect things to just work. I've had a fully enabled IPv4 and IPv6 dual stack network at home for the last 3 years, and it just works. I only know about what gets sent over IPv6, and which of my devices support IPv6, because I go looking to find out out of interest, not because IPv6 is unreliable.
This is the reason I support the Happy Eyeballs approach. If I recall correctly, the idea of making multiple connections over IPv4 and IPv6 respectively was proposed by Fred Baker at least a year or so before HE was proposed. At the time I though it seemed quite wasteful. However, thinking about it more, making things more user friendly always costs more resources. Yet usability is a very desirable property, because it means people don't have to care about how things work - instead they just do. That is and should be our goal ("We worry about the technology so you don't have to.").
* The last flag day occurred when the Internet protocols switched from NCP to IPv4 on January 1st, 1983, and even that wasn't 100% successful. Some of the designers of IPv6 were involved and have long memories.