[AusNOG] IPv6

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:40:08 EST 2015

Please don't regard this as trolling, but there is not going to be, and
cannot be, a gradual transition to IPv6. Consider this a state problem,
where the current state is ipv4, and we want to move to ipv6. We can only
make the transition when the marginal utility of ipv6 is greater than for
ipv4, ie. dU/d$(ipv6) > dU/d$(ipv4) for users, carriers, and content
providers. This will only happen with a forcing change. For the foreseable
future, the lack of entropy precludes any transition from ipv4.

Paul Wilkins