[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Mar 31 08:16:21 EST 2015

In message <CAM9f+ZyQ5-R6973g3zW_ZPeZmYZUjDDM+gvVYfMB-chf2fMOfA at mail.gmail.com>
, David Beveridge writes:

> I hosted several sites on dual stack servers for some time,
> and found that in the end it was better to disable the IPv6.
> IPv4 is clearly much more reliable than IPv6.
> ISPs were very slow to fix IPv6 faults.

And how long ago was that?

I rarely notice a IPv6 fault.

> I think when browsers such as Google chrome start marking http:// sites as
> insecure,
> this will put a lot more pressure on hosters to move to https:// for all
> web sites.
> https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/marking-http-as-non-secure
>
> If web hosters do not have enough address space it might push them back to
> IPv6.
> (I think I'm ok for a while yet).

Address space is not a issue for HTTPS these days.

> My point is that while ISP sit around and say that there is no content on
> IPv6,
> Content providers are sitting around saying that there is no reliable
> transport.
> Classic Chicken and Egg situation.

Except there is IPv6 content.  Typical households will shift over
half their traffic over IPv6 when they connect.  ~6% of the worlds
eyeballs are IPv6 connected.  That 3% if the worlds non b2b traffic
is IPv6.  All those numbers are growing.  At what point do you stop
saying IPv6 is coming and start saying it is here?

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org