[AusNOG] IPv6

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Mar 31 02:07:12 EST 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>
wrote:

> The indepth details http://bit.ly/1HWhSDq

So 6 out of 63 SITES worked with IPv6.

2 of those 6 sites combined (given you've treated Google and Youtube as
separate sites) account for around 25-40% of internet traffic (depending on
which numbers you believe).  So given that you started out talking about
traffic rather than sites your real number is closer to 30-45% of traffic.

Add in Facebook and Netflix, which you may not access directly but which
account for a reasonable percentage of Internet traffic and I'm sure you
can see how people are reporting over 50% of TRAFFIC as being IPv6.

Your testing is confused as it's not clear if you're trying to test the
number of sites (as per your conclusion) or the volume of traffic (as per
your introduction).  If you're trying to prove that we're not ready for
IPv6-only clients, then congratulations you've succeeded.  If you're trying
to show that IPv6 can't help to (for example) lessen the volume of traffic
that would need to be handled by CGNAT infrastructure in a dual-stack
environment, you've failure.

  Scott