[AusNOG] ISP Special Interest Group

George Fong george at lateralplains.com
Mon Mar 30 12:05:39 EST 2015

You're absolutely right Ross. And yes we anticipate that the majority of work will be done virtually. (I'm still in Ballarat :) ) Google Hangouts etc will be useful but we will try and find meeting locations where good VC equipment is available. I am currently convener for the Vic group and I will be utilising the HD VC stuff we have up here.

What we hope to do is as and when a get together is called for (and there is no reason why this can't happen in a regional spot) we'll seek sponsors to assist with the event. This will be more in the case where we want to pull everyone from all of the States together in one place but we're not being prescriptive about this and will be working the rough consensus across the SIG.

Cheers
g.

On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 11:54 +1100, Ross Wheeler wrote:

> If you are interested in coming along

In this day and age of telecommunications, tele-commuting, tele-presence
etc, etc, surely there must be something more "efficient" for those of us
would have to drive 7+ hours each way?

One of the things that has been a constant impedement to me, for many of
these so-called "industry" events has been the difficulty and cost of
getting somewhere for a particular event (and being able to maintain other
commitments) - especially if it's 12-14 hours travel for an hour event.

There are quite a number of us who live >4 hrs drive from a major centre,
regional flights are not very frequent (and are way more expensive than
intercap) and often times wouldn't get us to the city in time for a
meeting (or home again the same day after one), adding a few hundred bucks
in cab charges and accomodation!

--
[cid:1427677674.21618.41.camel at lateralplains.com]

GPG Fingerprint: 8BAF 3175 A1C8 BF5F 3631 BEF4 727C 784A 218B 4CE4
Just remember ...... wherever you go, there you are.