[AusNOG] Meta Data Encryption

Peter Adkins peter.adkins at kernelpicnic.net
Fri Mar 27 16:22:29 EST 2015

Slightly OT here, but just keep this in mind for implementation if you go
down this route. There are also a number of other attacks of a similar
nature, that are quite well documented, floating around the Internet.

http://blackkettle.org/blog/2015/02/19/youve-got-to-trust-your-vm-host/

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Matt Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:00:30AM +1000, David Beveridge wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Justin Clacherty <
> justin at redfish.com.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >  On 27/03/2015 10:32 AM, David Beveridge wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if the amendment to require encryption of Meta-data
> got
> > > up in the end?
> > > It is only required for offshore backups or what?
> > >

> > > It did. It's required for all data, not just backups offshore or
> otherwise.
> > >
> > > From the Bill:
> > >
> > > 187BA Ensuring the confidentiality of information
> > > A service provider must protect the confidentiality of information
> > > that, or information in a document that, the service provider must
> > > keep, or cause to be kept, under section 187A by:
> > > (a) encrypting the information; and
> > > (b) protecting the information from unauthorised interference or
> > >       unauthorised access.
> > >
> > >  I don't understand how this is practical.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to have an SQL database encrypt radius logs.
> > or have sendmail/postfix write logs in encrypted format?
>
> LUKS.
>
> - Matt

Regards,
Peter Adkins