[AusNOG] Soul Patts chief takes aim at TPG founder Michael Malone | The Australian

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Mar 27 15:07:20 EST 2015

On 27/03/2015 13:46, Grahame Lynch wrote:

> Feel free to blitz away at me but if people want to participate in discussions about public policy that involve recourse (and by definition, links) to the findings and reports of paid journalists who, umm, you know, require payments for their work, then what is the problem with actually paying to access their sites? It is relatively cheap and there are only a handful of paywalled publications (Aus, SMH, AFR) out there to link to. And if you have such an issue with it, well as Ben has shown, the hacks are easy. But BANNING links to things that require payment? Geez....
>
> Most people here would think nothing of dropping a few bucks on other types of cloud services that help them with their jobs.

More fool them :)

its a pure money grabbing cash cow exercise, there is already wayyy too
much spam thrown in your face everytime you visit a media website -
except the ABC's. I refuse to go to the 7 networks site because there's
more advertising and popup auto play video adds than there is news, so
you expect me to pay for teh privilege of getting spammed more? Not in
my lifetime.

By your above definition, we might as well tell the networks to cease
their daily news bulletins and all go pay murdoch far more than he
deserves by signup up to cable news on foxtel or some trash...

Journos are also notorious for putting their spin on things and quoting
only what suites them - I worked at news ltd for several years once, I
doubt anythings changed.

Lastly, do all of the people making press releases and statements and
interviews know it will sit behind a paywall, does it sit well with
everyone of them? I doubt it, maybe some but I be betting not the
majority. *note: I speak to this of known commercial news outlets - this
naturally excludes private publications available ever only by
subscription.

But I don't care, if tehy want to make a statement that is only behind a
paywall, then its too bad for them their word wont get around as loudly.

Lastly, yes as Ben has pointed out there is a way around it - for now.
If you care enough to go looking, at least until someone who knows what
they are doing comes along and closes that avenue down anyway :)