[AusNOG] IPv6

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Mar 27 12:39:08 EST 2015

On 27/03/2015 01:27, Mark Andrews wrote:

> In message <72fbb5e21eb9245bccc5791ec31c6922 at ausics.net>, Noel Butler writes:
>
>> The main attention grabbing problem, is all the ' lil boys crying wolf '
>> about running out of ipv4 even back in early 90's, then mid 90's we had
>> 2 years left, then late 90's we still had 2 years left, in mid 00's we
>> again had 2 years left.... <-- THAT is a major contributor to the "meh
>> .. so. one day.. maybe.." attitude
>
> Guess what, that shouting gave you CIDR and NAT which dramatically
> slowed the address consumption. There was no "Crying Wolf". If
> the way addresses were being consumed hadn't changed we would have
> run out of addresses 2 decades ago.

We'll have to agree to disagree there Mark :)

> I was running IP connected networks back then. It was a real
> problem.
>
> The other key factor is only a pi.. ant minute fraction of the world is
> using v6, even if every ISP in AU turned on v6 tomorrow, they will have
> to run with v4 as well for years and years to come, else they wont be
> talking to many sites :) So there is no urgency as most would see and
> despite the fanbois who will now try flame the fsck outa me, those SP's
> are right.
> 6% of the world is using IPv6 today. This is not a "pi.. ant minute
> fraction of the world" unless you think 100's of millions of machines
> is that small.

Yeah, and most of them are German (19% uptake) and U.S. (17% uptake) end
users and uni's - that might be cool if you want to torrent and connect
to them, but I dont torrent, so I dont have any need to connect to an
end user, I use a VPN to hte US for catchup tv, so I dont have to sit
around and wait 5 months for aussie tv networks to catchup to rest of
world - movies dont interest me, I have little patience to sit and watch
tv for hours on end :)
Now, I might even disable ipv4 entirely this weekend when I catchup with
csi cyber and hawaii five 0 and shit like that and see how much traffic
of that uses 6...

OH WAIT, nope cbs has no v6 addresses, ahh your in luck nbc does though,
well, lets see if its there for content... but looks like I'll be
catching up on revenge on ipv4 only too...

Lastly, but hardly leastly, one of worlds most pop sites that I do sit
on almost all my waking hours is twitter, it aint got no ipv6 records at
all either, so you see, I dare say v6 traffic will not increase all that
much, but as mentioned just then to Paul, I will see, I'm going to
disable ipv4 preferences this weekend and see how we go, hell, for teh
fun of it, I might even drop ipv4 altogether on this pc and see how much
of what I usually go to, I can get to.