[AusNOG] Meta Data Encryption

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Fri Mar 27 12:28:04 EST 2015

Is there a timeframe involved? Most raw logs aren't encrypted.

I would have expected that you'd handle all this metadata stuff
including encryption with logrotate or similar.

On 27/03/15 12:00, David Beveridge wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Justin Clacherty
> <justin at redfish.com.au <mailto:justin at redfish.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 27/03/2015 10:32 AM, David Beveridge wrote:
>>     Does anyone know if the amendment to require encryption of
>>     Meta-data got up in the end?
>>     It is only required for offshore backups or what?
>>

>     It did. It's required for all data, not just backups offshore or
>     otherwise.
>
>     From the Bill:
>
>     187BA Ensuring the confidentiality of information
>     A service provider must protect the confidentiality of information
>     that, or information in a document that, the service provider must
>     keep, or cause to be kept, under section 187A by:
>     (a) encrypting the information; and
>     (b) protecting the information from unauthorised interference or
>           unauthorised access.
>
> I don't understand how this is practical.
>
> Does anyone know how to have an SQL database encrypt radius logs.
> or have sendmail/postfix write logs in encrypted format?

Nick Stallman
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!