[AusNOG] IPv6

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Mar 27 12:24:51 EST 2015

On 26/03/2015 23:06, Paul Brooks wrote:

On 26/03/2015 11:32 PM, Noel Butler wrote:

I run v6 at home courtesy of HE, have done for a while, my mrtg graphs
dont get above a few hundred kB a day for v6 traffic - mostly to google
I dare say, hell, not even twitter goes via 6, and IDGAF about
faecesbook so no traffic goes any direction near that hole.

> And the HE tunnel will be the problem. Most applications (and in particular web browsers) implement 'Happy Eyeballs' (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555 [1]), and try both IPv6 & IPv4 connections at the same time, then use whichever protocol established a connection quickest. Google, Twitter, G Maps, Yahoo, Akamai etc are all v6-enabled - but until your IPv6 RTT is similar to your IPv4 RTT, your apps will continue to use IPv4 in practice. That few hundred kB a day is probably successful IPv6 connections being established 100 ms behind the IPv4 equivalent, and then not being used for application data.
>
> Those with native IPv6, where the RTT for both is effectively the same, see 40 - 50% of traffic over IPv6. Or use a tunnel that terminates locally.
>
> If you run Firefox as your browser, the '4or6' AddOn allows you to set the browser to disable IPv4, or to keep both but disable fast-fallback (aka Happy Eyeballs) so it will wait for IPv6 to timeout before trying IPv4. Turning off 'FastFallback' should help push a lot more traffic over to IPv6 similar to how native dual-stack would allow.
>
> Paul.

OK, this weekend I will do that and see what I come up with.

Links:
------
[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555