[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Mar 27 02:27:23 EST 2015

In message <72fbb5e21eb9245bccc5791ec31c6922 at ausics.net>, Noel Butler writes:
> The main attention grabbing problem, is all the ' lil boys crying wolf '
> about running out of ipv4 even back in early 90's, then mid 90's we had
> 2 years left, then late 90's we still had 2 years left, in mid 00's we
> again had 2 years left.... <-- THAT is a major contributor to the "meh
> .. so. one day.. maybe.." attitude

Guess what, that shouting gave you CIDR and NAT which dramatically
slowed the address consumption.  There was no "Crying Wolf".  If
the way addresses were being consumed hadn't changed we would have
run out of addresses 2 decades ago.

I was running IP connected networks back then.  It was a real
problem.

> The other key factor is only a pi.. ant minute fraction of the world is
> using v6, even if every ISP in AU turned on v6 tomorrow, they will have
> to run with v4 as well for years and years to come, else they wont be
> talking to many sites :) So there is no urgency as most would see and
> despite the fanbois who will now try flame the fsck outa me, those SP's
> are right.

6% of the world is using IPv6 today.  This is not a "pi.. ant minute
fraction of the world" unless you think 100's of millions of machines
is that small.

> I run v6 at home courtesy of HE, have done for a while, my mrtg graphs
> dont get above a few hundred kB a day for v6 traffic - mostly to google
> I dare say, hell, not even twitter goes via 6, and IDGAF about
> faecesbook so no traffic goes any direction near that hole.

Pick a tunnel end point / broker closer to you or turn off Happy
Eyeballs.  This is measuring IPv4 native vs IPv6 tunneled to the
other side of the Pacific if you are using the topologically closest
HE end point.  It is not measuring IPv4 native vs IPv6 native.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org