[AusNOG] IPv6

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Mar 26 23:32:40 EST 2015

On 26/03/2015 22:13, Chris Hurley wrote:

> I could be wrong (and I have been before ;-), but the biggest mistake in IP6 was not making it backward compatible with IP4. Hence the resistance to take it up.
>
> Yes there are some good technical agruements with substance as to why we should make the quantum leap. But they forget the human lag factor. I.e it's not broken don't fix, It costs money, where's my return etc.

The main attention grabbing problem, is all the ' lil boys crying wolf '
about running out of ipv4 even back in early 90's, then mid 90's we had
2 years left, then late 90's we still had 2 years left, in mid 00's we
again had 2 years left.... <-- THAT is a major contributor to the "meh
.. so. one day.. maybe.." attitude

The other key factor is only a pi.. ant minute fraction of the world is
using v6, even if every ISP in AU turned on v6 tomorrow, they will have
to run with v4 as well for years and years to come, else they wont be
talking to many sites :) So there is no urgency as most would see and
despite the fanbois who will now try flame the fsck outa me, those SP's
are right.

I run v6 at home courtesy of HE, have done for a while, my mrtg graphs
dont get above a few hundred kB a day for v6 traffic - mostly to google
I dare say, hell, not even twitter goes via 6, and IDGAF about
faecesbook so no traffic goes any direction near that hole.