[AusNOG] SPAM-MED: Re: Data Retention and CGNAT - educational exercise

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 26 21:43:50 EST 2015

In message <305C87C9-04B6-4D58-99F0-3853BCEB837E at gmail.com>, "Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada" writes:
> Allo,
>
> On 26 Mar 2015, at 12:17, Kristoffer Sheather @ CloudCentral wrote:
> > "Michael Gehrmann" wrote:
> >> The fun thing is that most consumers/customers won't know thus won't
> >> demand it.
> >>
> >> I say deploy IPv6 by stealth and set every new CPE to be dual stack.
> >> All OS now support IPv6 by default. It really needs to be the ISP
> >> that leads this.
> >
> > Differentiate your self by going IPv6 only then.
>
> Not sure how that is helpful as a response to someone suggesting going
> dual-stack, not IPv6 only - unless I've totally misread Michael's email.
>
> If my home broadband ISP (okay, and my cheap CPE) supported IPv6, I'd be
> able to get to my own servers out there without using a tunnel. And
> Google. And Youtube. And Facebook. That's probably a majority of user's
> needs done = reduced CGNAT requirements.
>
> I'm not pro IPv6 just for the hell of it, but there are some odd
> arguments for not providing it as a service now, or at least timetabling
> it more seriously.
>
> Also, in $job-1 - I can't say that Australia as a whole is any worse or
> better than the rest of the world when it comes to IPv6. We had mixed
> experience getting IPv6 rolled out around our many POPs - I do recall
> that Equinix in Sydney didn't support IPv6 by the time we had expected
> it. But then, neither had our ISP in Copenhagen. Or India. Or Sao Paulo.

We are seriously behind other parts of the world.  It took Comcast
years to upgrade all of the equipement just to do the residential
side.  They are still doing the commercial side.  Optus handed me
a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, with serious buffer bloat issues, in the last
year to replace the broken +10 year old DOCSIS 1.0 modem I had.  I
have been asking Optus for IPv6 support since 2003.  At this rate
it will be 2024 before the modem needs to be replaced for hardware
reasons.

Now some DOCSIS 2.0 modems have IPv6 capable firmware releases but
most don't.

Free supplied all their customers 6rd (RFC5569 which was later
standardised with minor changes to improve address utilisation
efficiency and autoconfiguratib in RFC5969) capable modems back in
2008/2009 timeframe.  Comcast also used 6rd to deliver IPv6 for a
while.

Meanwhile I do have a IPv6 capable Netgear router with nothing for
it to talk to directly on the IPv6 side as the old router needed
to be replaced.  6to4 goes via a HE relay in Japan after crossing
the Pacific twice to get there.  Netgear doesn't offer a way to
configure 6in4 even though the box is capable of doing it if you
telnet in a run the configuration commands by hand.  These need to
be re-done each the the router reboots.

That said I as a customer should not have to resort to these measures
to get IPv6 going.  IPv6 should just be there by now.