[AusNOG] SPAM-MED: Re: Data Retention and CGNAT - educational exercise

Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada virtualsid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:56:01 EST 2015

Allo,

On 26 Mar 2015, at 12:17, Kristoffer Sheather @ CloudCentral wrote:
> "Michael Gehrmann" wrote:
>> The fun thing is that most consumers/customers won't know thus won't
>> demand it.
>>
>> I say deploy IPv6 by stealth and set every new CPE to be dual stack.
>> All OS now support IPv6 by default. It really needs to be the ISP
>> that leads this.
>
> Differentiate your self by going IPv6 only then.

Not sure how that is helpful as a response to someone suggesting going
dual-stack, not IPv6 only - unless I've totally misread Michael's email.

If my home broadband ISP (okay, and my cheap CPE) supported IPv6, I'd be
able to get to my own servers out there without using a tunnel. And
Google. And Youtube. And Facebook. That's probably a majority of user's
needs done = reduced CGNAT requirements.

I'm not pro IPv6 just for the hell of it, but there are some odd
arguments for not providing it as a service now, or at least timetabling
it more seriously.

Also, in $job-1 - I can't say that Australia as a whole is any worse or
better than the rest of the world when it comes to IPv6. We had mixed
experience getting IPv6 rolled out around our many POPs - I do recall
that Equinix in Sydney didn't support IPv6 by the time we had expected
it. But then, neither had our ISP in Copenhagen. Or India. Or Sao Paulo.

Sid