[AusNOG] Data Retention and CGNAT - educational exercise

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Mar 26 09:58:41 EST 2015

> Reduce the amount of data to zero - put this energy into
> deploying IPv6 instead of CG-NAT. You know you should.
> You know you can.

:: Oh boy, I am so sick of people harping on like this. I
:: challenge you to run one single internet customer IPv6
:: only (no translations) and see how long it lasts. Just

: Dual stack is not doable? I thought that's what he meant
: by deploy IPv6. Maybe I need more beer? Again? ;-)

From: "Kristoffer Sheather @ CloudCentral" <kristoffer.sheather at cloudcentral.com.au>

>> IPv6 won't go anywhere until IPv4 doesn't work anymore.

This is the chicken-n-egg thing.  The only thing to break
the cycle is deploy what you can when you can so that it
gets us to the goal (native IPv6) in the shortest time
possible.

I disagree with the "zero time", since that's what you need
to move forward, but we should not say I'm not putting any
time into dual stack until everyone else does.

scott

ps. probably my email address was used just in the reply-all
to the list on the email from Tony immediately after mine,
but I do not "subject [fellow engineers] to smart arse digs
when they are asking perfectly reasonable questions."  Ever.