[AusNOG] (Meta)data retention...

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Mar 26 09:07:25 EST 2015

On 25 Mar 2015, at 5:58 pm, Greg Anderson <ganderson at raywhite.com> wrote:

> Darren,
>
> I have lurked these data retention threads for a while now, and I am not sure what significant opportunity any ISP had to do something about this.  It seem to me that everything about the proposal was changing and too vague until it was too late to do anything effective about it.  Really, even now it is vague or classified information.

That's why you folks keep losing.

When a policy proposal is "changing and too vague," that's the BEST time to mobilise against it.

Actually, wait: the best time is before it's even public, but if you miss that boat, getting in immediately after publication is superior to waiting.

Political parties solidify like concrete around proposals that are specific, but remain malleable and open to argument and influence while the idea is still being developed. If you wait until a proposal stops changing, you don't get to change it yourself.

   - mark