[AusNOG] Telstra run out of IPv4 - goes CGNAT

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Mar 24 22:15:49 EST 2015

On 24 Mar 2015, at 10:06 pm, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> Additionally those that know about IPv6 just configure tunnels
> having given up complaining about the lack of IPv6 support.

In Australia, yes. In the US there's an increasing plethora of very large residential and cellular service providers with IPv6 on by default. And they're late adopters compared to Europe.

So I'd change your statement to, "those in the know choose service providers who give them what they want so they don't need to complain anymore."

Remember all those IPv6 Summits in Melbourne and Canberra last decade, where speakers warned about Australia falling behind as laggards? Guess what.

Fun fact: About 50% of my household's Internet traffic is IPv6, and I'm not doing anything especially geeky to make that happen. The demand is actually there already for service providers who turn it on.

   - mark