[AusNOG] Telstra run out of IPv4 - goes CGNAT

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Tue Mar 24 15:20:13 EST 2015

I have been pretty disappointed with the IPv6 rollout in Australia by our ISP’s. Internode / iinet were pretty much it for so long, it’s genuinely surprising that more of the larger ones haven’t progressed their rollouts.

Exetel have recently started offering IPv6 (via a tunnel though) but it seems to work ok, with that said I had some initial routing issues, and Exetel unfortunately only offer the single upstream connection via Optus, not through Telstra or NSW IX yet.

Hopefully that will all change soon, but for the moment I was just happy to get an IPv6 connection at all…..

Interesting article I was reading earlier that was talking about CGNAT vs / with IPv6:
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2013/02/06/carrier-grade-nat-a-look-at-the-tradeoffs/

It seems most of our bigger ISP’s are (at least publicly) in the second camp, where they would rather deploy CGNAT, gain the short term benefits and then drag everybody else down rather than progressing their v6 rollouts while doing CGNAT where absolutely necessary…..

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson