[AusNOG] Telstra run out of IPv4 - goes CGNAT

Seamus Ryan s.ryan at uber.com.au
Tue Mar 24 14:30:58 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Mark ZZZ Smith
Sent: Tuesday, 24 March 2015 1:21 PM
To: Skeeve Stevens; AusNOG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Telstra run out of IPv4 - goes CGNAT

>> (c) is why Skype went from a hybrid peer-to-peer/hub-and-spoke model (where the hub devices were other skype user's PCs with public addresses) to a pure hub-and-spoke model at the instruction of a certain three letter agency.

FWIW, in most scenarios a skype to skype call (with or without video) between two clients is generally still peer-to-peer (don't believe me? Run a packet capture while making a call). It is only after a third client is added to call that the conversation is sent to Microsoft "supernodes" OR for some reason a peer-to-peer connection is not possible. Mass surveillance aside, I think you will find MS moved this way primarily to align the products functionality with Lync. You may have noticed these two products coming closer and closer together, and if rumours are true they will be much the same client in several years.

Regards,
Seamus