[AusNOG] Telstra run out of IPv4 - goes CGNAT

Chris Deigan chris at deigan.id.au
Tue Mar 24 12:01:04 EST 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:46 AM, Skeeve Stevens
<skeeve+ausnog at theispguy.com> wrote:
> I am surprised no one talked about this yesterday
>
> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/401918,telstra-runs-out-of-ipv4-addresses.aspx

That article is pretty poor on the scope of where Telstra is applying
CGNAT. When I read it, I assumed it was referring to mobile services,
where AFAIK all major telcos are generally using NAT instead of
handing out public IPv4 to every smartphone out there.

Is that assumption poor? Is Telstra actually using CGNAT for more than
just mobile services?

-Chris.