[AusNOG] Who makes good UPS gear besides APC?

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Mar 20 19:10:14 EST 2015

I don't know much about Fuel Cells except that I perceived them as the
'battery' not the 'UPS'.  You still need the tech to run your gear and
switch you between primary and backup power supplies, don't you?

Another vote for Emerson, by the way.  Had nothing but good service out
of both their equipment and themselves, supporting their kit.
I use Emerson for my 'enterprise' UPS suite and APC gear for smaller,
self-contained rack mountable stuff.

I had some Eaton PDU's once, they really weren't that great at all, I
hope their UPS's don't fall into the same category...

Mark.

On 20/03/2015 8:54 p.m., Beeson, Ayden wrote:
> Google is using custom built open compute style hardware built to run on direct dc low voltage, using onboard batteries to each server directly rather than centralised ups storage and conversion.
>
> So yep it's definitely being done but it's harder to achieve right now if you can't source that sort of hardware easily.
>
> http://www.cnet.com/news/google-uncloaks-once-secret-server-10209580/
>
> As for fuel cells, a few years ago I saw a product (i'm vague on details now sorry) that was basically a biomass fuel cell, about the size of a large fridge (or bigger, I think they had a few products of varying sizes) some of the bigger companies were looking at using, it sounded amazing but the lack of talk about it now makes it seem like it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
>
> Cheers,
> Ayden
> (Sent from a mobile device, some grammatical errors or typos may have occurred)
>
> On 20 Mar 2015, at 7:46 am, Chris Gibbs <chris.t.gibbs at gmail.com<mailto:chris.t.gibbs at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Is anyone considering fuel cells a suitable replacement for UPS?
>
> I would think that refuelling them would be relatively easy.
>
> I would also imagine, if they are being considered that data centre operators would not let them in the building, let along power stuff.
>
> In that case, they maybe more suited to private run smaller server rooms ?
>

> On the same point regarding alternative power sources; considering DC power is more efficient (i.e. no loss wasted on conversion), why aren't more people going down the route of DC powered servers and storage ? A couple of rectifiers and some deep cycle batteries would be overkill for most small requirements. I think the open compute project is trying to go down that road.

*snip*