[AusNOG] CA Data Retention costs letter to Ministers

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Mar 19 12:43:32 EST 2015

On Mar 18, 2015, at 9:54 PM, Ross Wheeler <ausnog at rossw.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015, Noel Butler wrote:
>
>> Exactly! The big players have dictated to this industry for too long.
>
> One of the problems is that us "small" operators don't have a cast of thousands, our own legal department and virtually unlimited resources.
>
> We're all pretty much head-down-bum-up running our business. We don't want intervention or red tape, we don't have resources to handle it, hell... we don't really even talk to others in our industry (with a few exceptions).

This morning if you were watching ABCnews24 Breakfast, you would have seen the National Onion Growers Association getting nation-wide TV coverage via an interview with their lobbyist in Canberra.

They’re smaller businesses than virtually any small ISP.  Their entire industry is smaller than the small-ISP industry.

They have a national association with a lobbyist in Canberra, and a couple of days ago they had the PM munching down on their product when he was at one of their sites to promote it.

You guys don’t.

  - mark