[AusNOG] CA Data Retention costs letter to Ministers

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:24:00 EST 2015

On 17 March 2015 at 12:45, Damian Guppy <the.damo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep it professional Noel, this is a public list after all.
>
> In terms of how much of the industry they represent, it all depends on how
> you are counting, if you are talking in terms of % of subscribers or market
> cap, just those who signed the letter yesterday would account for, what,
> 80-90% of the 'industry'?
>
> In my books that counts as representing the industry.

In my book that means they represent exactly what they are - the small
number of operators who happen to have the largest number of customers
between them.  There are a LOT more players in the industry who were not
consulted nor given a reasonable opportunity to sign.

> I think the letter was very reasonable. It is effectively just asking
> "Hey, if you are going to pass these laws regardless you should tell us how
> much you are willing to pay," I don't see it implying support of the laws
> themselves.

How you see it isn't terribly relevant in this context.  That's exactly how
the AGD/politicians will see it (or at least how they will spin it to meet
the requirements of their own agendas).