[AusNOG] Effect of Data Retention regime on smaller ISPs

Cameron Watt roo.watt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:39:31 EST 2015

On 7/03/2015 1:28 pm, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> John,
> Do I detect a rebuke? I'm happy to agree to disagree. If you have an
> alternate reading of the legislation, I'd welcome rational argument.
>
> I claim #3 is contentious, having read the legislation, and the
> proposed bill. I don't see where anyone can claim it's not
> contentious, where the metadata is still before the Expert Group, and
> where Labour will still need to sign off on whatever is finally
> proposed. Claiming anything is settled at this stage only helps
> supports the passage of this bill, while areas of uncertainty suggests
> the bill's not ready to be put to the Parliament. Sober consideration
> of what is proposed hopefully can avoid the worst of the foreseeable
> nonsense.
Personally I listen carefully to what JL says, he (and others) have been
around long enough to see the various attempts by the AGD to push this
through various AGs across differing governments and had the benefit
(hah) of being involved in secretive consultation under NDA.

Given that much of the detail will specified by regulation rather than
legislation I think it relevant in extreme. I see it as an indication of
what might (probably will) be required some time in the future but very
useful when trying to interpret (deliberately?) ambiguous/contentious
legislation and/or regulation.

But each to their own.

Cameron.