[AusNOG] CA Data Retention costs letter to Ministers

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Mar 16 11:10:01 EST 2015

On 16/03/2015 10:54 AM, Robert Hudson wrote:
> Does this mean that the Comms Alliance is giving up and accepting that the metadata
> retention legislation WILL be passed, and that you're just now trying to minimise
> damage to yourselves?

I don't speak for Comms Alliance, I'm just helping stakeholders work together. This
list has complained loudly that this subsection of the community wasn't being
consulted - well, now's your chance to contribute. I'm just a matchmaker. If you want
to know Comms Alliance's motivations Robert - feel free to call John and ask him.

Personally, I like to cover all bases. There are three possible outcomes for the
metadata retention legislation - it will be passed, it will be delayed for further
changes, it will be blocked.
If its blocked, then the letter does no harm.
It its delayed, the letter and combined weight of the industry helps make sure that
the costs issue - how much, and how it can be distributed - is part of the post-match
debate.
If its passed, the letter.........ditto.

So preparing and signing the letter doesn't mean anyone is going to 'give up' trying
to stop the legislation. But I dont speak for the combined membership of Comms Alliance.

Paul.