[AusNOG] Spam Filtering

Ross Cheetham ross at crucial.com.au
Wed Mar 11 16:36:57 EST 2015

Before we moved our corporate email to Google Apps, we switched our spam
filtering from in-house to GFI Mail essentials "cloud" version.

Honestly it worked great, a few minor complaints with the user portal
(especially around reporting false positives or missed positives).

Can appreciate admins like to have "control" over things like spam
filtering, but IMO that is time wasted on other projects which could be
revenue generating, or adding value for your customers (even if that is
internal customers).

Pro's and Con's either way though. We are a smallish team so did not want
to spend time monitoring and caring for a proper spam filtering setup.

Cheers,
Ross

On 11 March 2015 at 11:37, Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) <
terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au> wrote:

>  Unless you outsource your email service, I don't recommend outsourcing
> your spam filtering.
>
> Your system admins will have some ideas on using greylisting, RBLs and
> fail2ban, I recommend seriously entertaining the idea of an open source
> solution along those lines.
>
> Retaining the marked emails may be a service you want to offer, however
> that removes the "reject all spam" modus operandi.
>
> In my experience, after most of the good open source techniques are in
> play, it is the customers being phished for webmail and submission access
> that poses the major problem.
>
>  http://about.me/terry.sweetser
>

>  ------------------------------

[image: Crucial] <https://www.crucial.com.au/>

Ross Cheetham / Technical Operations Manager
ross at crucial.com.au

Crucial
1300 884 839
Suite 2, Level 3, 104-106 Commonwealth St
Surry Hills 2010
https://www.crucial.com.au

[image: Facebook]  <https://www.facebook.com/crucialcloudhosting>[image:
Twitter]  <https://twitter.com/CrucialHosting>[image: Google Plus]