[AusNOG] Jobs - degree vs experience?

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 9 17:13:44 EST 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015, Ross Annetts wrote:

> I tried getting RPL with UTS when I started a computer science degree, they
> would not accept my networking engineering diploma as RPL since it had been
> more than 5 years since I completed it. I managed to get a couple subjects
> exempt by doing some exams, but they did not give me any exemptions just based
> on experience in the workforce. They are also pretty strict on making sure
> that any prior learning you have done closely matches the current syllabus of
> the subject before even considering it.
>
> It definitely depends on the Uni though so you should ask around. An
> alternative would be getting some certs if you haven't got them already,
> should be pretty easy if you have experience already and will help getting
> passed the HR department.

Charles Sturt University have the IT Masters program which has a clear
industry focus, including the possibility of RPL for industry
certifications:
http://www.itmasters.edu.au/course/master-of-networking-and-systems-administration/
http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/master-of-networking-and-systems-administration

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |