[AusNOG] Effect of Data Retention regime on smaller ISPs

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Tue Mar 3 18:08:52 EST 2015

Hey Justin - and others.

As soon as we actually know what we're supposed to be doing, I will be
doing my best to put something together for the smaller ISPs to help them
deal with this... we just need to know what the requirements will be...
 what will be collected, what needs to be summarised, if it needs to be
encrypted, and how it needs to be stored.

At the moment I am thinking that AWS Glacier will be one of the cheapest
places to store elastic data as its recovery time will be in hours.  But it
depends on the required information access time is... and what kinds of
requests they will make and how to extract a specific piece of data. If it
needs to be in a DB format for querying, I don't see how we're going to be
able to encrypt it easily.

It is all a blur until we know the answers to a lot of these questions.

...Skeeve

*Skeeve Stevens - Founder & Chief Network Architect*
eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
Email: skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; Skype: skeeve

LinkedIn: /in/skeeve <http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360: Profile