[AusNOG] MS Exchange issues with Telstra

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Mar 6 11:56:03 EST 2015

IIRC a couple of years ago, a few services admitted to doing this to
protect their customers by utilising malware domain blocklists forcing
NXDOMAIN on lookups to known phishers and so on, a good move, one I do
locally and have done so for many years now (non public networks
though), but I'd have no problem with it being done or doing it on
public networks if it meant stopping the average punter being ripped
off, or their machines infected with nasties - sadly though, there may
be providers who block/redirect 53 for less than moral reasons, and THAT
I strongly oppose.

In the end DNS is DNS, the cool factor of using says google public DNS
or the like shouldnt come into it, since the queried servers should
return the same information - unless it prevents access to malicious
content as above, and it should only ever then NXDOMAIN it, or redirect
to say an RPZ type block information notice saying why its a prohibited
domain - it should NEVER be redirected to another working
(competitors/preferred) host/domain, or for spook purposes.

On 06/03/2015 09:25, Eric Pinkerton wrote:

> FWIW - From the Telstra 4G network (telstra.wap APN), I can query any DNS server I like.
>
> I would expect that that any ISP who did filter queries to external DNS would be so deluged with support calls they would end up turning it of pretty quickly.

 make scripts to switch off DNS settings when using telstra. So Telstra
is providing a filtered internet service then? I'm not sure I could live
with that. Serge On 5 March 2015 at 14:31, Ben Cooper <ben at zeno.io>