[AusNOG] MS Exchange issues with Telstra

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:29:20 EST 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 12:14, Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> They could do it these days with storage being so cheap, the question is
> whether they would do it. I've never experienced or heard of an
> organisation choosing to record all of the phone calls their staff make
> (actually thinking about it more, it is probably because it is illegal to
> do without making the 'your call may be recorded' announcement first.)

Funding the storage of recorded calls is part of the costs of running a
call centre.

To clarify - whether recording a call requires the approval of one or more
of the parties involved depends entirely on the jurisdiction under which
the recording is occurring.  In NSW, my understanding is that only one
party on a call needs to be aware/informed that it's happening - call
centre employees are warned that their calls are all recorded, and
customers are generally told "we will record this call unless you tell us
you don't want it recorded" in their introduction (whether you call them or
they call you).

Yes, I've supported call centre operations in previous roles.

Regards,

Robert