[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 2 16:43:58 EST 2015

At least in my opinion, the key and fundamental objection to all of this is that the government are choosing not to respect our privacy by default.

If you want to see why or show somebody why privacy is important, I think Glenn Greenwald's TED presentation is excellent:

"Why privacy matters"
http://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters?language=en

Youtube version if the above doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcSlowAhvUk

Transcript:
http://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters/transcript?language=en

While I think CC'ing is amusing, I don't think it is really demonstrating the importance of the privacy the government is taking away. It is mostly a DoS attack, although it is indirectly providing the metadata that the government wants to collect.

I think a better demonstration would be to have many people use the Freedom of Information Act to request government metatdata. The point of using FOI for this wouldn't be for the normal reasons of FOI, as described at

http://www.oaic.gov.au/freedom-of-information/about-freedom-of-information

The point of it would be to show what it is like to be watched by default. Who is watching the watchers? The answer would now be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c