[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

George Fong george at lateralplains.com
Mon Mar 2 09:09:34 EST 2015

With Paul on this.

Paul was part of the team that put together submissions on behalf of the Internet Society of Australia. We respectfully pushed the point that the Bill was 'deeply flawed'. AGD's intentions are clear from the Explanatory Memoranda and submissions but we don't think the Bill quite matches up.

https://www.internet.org.au/index.php/news

The*intention* though is as Paul has spelled out below, although as some of you have pointed out, issues of immediate circle and same place in 187B are problematic. The intention is clear. Some provider somewhere should collect the data. Even if you do not qualify or are  exempt, there is a contemplation by AGD that somewhere along the chain someone will be required to collect and retain..

But whilst we are contemplating the legal issues (and they are complex) we should also be contemplating the issue of collection and retention. The way the argument is phrased, we'll *only* have to collect what is defined in the dataset (which the PJCIS has now recommended is defined in the legislation, not regulations).

The reality IMHO, is not so much what we have to collect, but what we have to strip out of the data we collect. And that process is going to vary significantly depending on what generates the data. Even between MTAs (eg Postfix vs Exim) the log formats are very different. If you run both then you have twice the work to do. And then you need to make sure that updates don't change the formats, or if they do, you can adjust the programs that parse the logs.

We could retain everything and not parse them for only the relevant data. There will then be a storage issue. But I am not clear in my own mind, if we hand over everything lock stock and barrel, in excess of the defined dataset requirements, whether we would be breaching other obligations to the client.

Andrew Masterson very kindly gave us a platform to outline some of these issues in the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/lawyers-laymen-experts-stumped-by-metadata-proposals-20150225-13myny.html

All in all I think its going to take a fair bit of debate and discussion, and as Matthew Lobb from Vodafone pointed out at the submissions to the PJCIS, it may well take a substantial amount of time and a considerable amount of consultation with industry, to work out how you get a consistent and workable process in place. IMHO this task will be substantial. Take ISP Land for example -   400+ known ISPs with 400+ discrete systems and 400+ skills sets and capabilities ........

Cheers
g.