[AusNOG] PJCIS report on data retention bill has been posted

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Sun Mar 1 15:50:56 EST 2015

The people who have written the data retention legislation, the bureaucrats at AGD, don't care about silly notions like cost benefit analyses, so there isn't one and won't be one.

The reason they want it is to enable them to answer questions like, "Laurie Oakes received a 13 page PDF on October 13 2014, who sent it to him?" It's always been an anti-whistleblower measure, ASIO's and ASD's way of preventing another Snowden.

The other justifications (terrorism, pedophilia, corporate crime, hate speech, etc) have been made up by politicians, and are irrelevant because politicians are out of the loop on this issue. This is an AGD initiative, it's coming from the bureaucracy, not the government, and Ministers are nothing more than well trained bit players, tools used as a means to an end by the departmental mandarins.

This law will go on to be used in harmful ways its drafters never intended (in the same way that the DMCA has been used to restrict third party coffee pods and garage door openers). The policy's proponents don't care, and won't try to mitigate any of the harm. It's going to be a disaster.

   - mark

--
Tiny screen, imaginary keyboard.