[AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Mon Jun 29 12:35:06 EST 2015

On 29/06/2015 1:32 p.m., Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:

> *From:* Geordie Guy <elomis at gmail.com>

*snip*

Badly quoted / formatted response aside, Mark has it here.

Early in my career I worked heldpesk and 'abuse@' for a 'free' ISP. The
operations of that ISP were funded by interconnect revenues and the
bottom line was that if you could get online once (borrow a dialup, or
use a library etc), you could sign up for an internet account that would
work immediately, with no validation of the details supplied as part of
the sign-up process.

You can imagine how much abuse the service saw, when people realised
there was essentially no accountability for your actions when you could
be fully anonymised (at least, until the account was reviewed for
obvious anonymised user-data or reported for abusive behavior, and the
mighty whack-a-mole act began).

Having spent a lot of my career (then, and since) dealing with abuse
originating from parts of the Internet which don't care to be
accountable (through anonymised domain name registrations, ISP's too
large to be able to cope with the number of complaints they get so they
ignore them entirely, parts of the world where you know that a complaint
from a small nation in the south pacific aren't worth the time it takes
to read them, etc) I don't believe that anonymous domain name
registrations are necessary.

Mark.