[AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:28:15 EST 2015

On 25 June 2015 at 17:07, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:

> Being identifiable as the owner of a domain name also helps create a level
> of responsibility and accountability for the actions of the people using
> it. I'd wager that is far more important than protecting the privacy of a
> domain owner - when facts like the name of a company director/owner and the
> details of registered incorporated societies (etc) are also in the public
> record, the requirement for a domain to be registered to a legally
> identifiable entity is a "nothing" issue. Better for domain owners to be
> able to recognise that particular type of fraud for what it is, than use
> that as an excuse to permit the kind of noise routinely attributed to
> anonymous services online ?

So you're saying that the vast majority of people who don't do the wrong
thing should have their privacy reduced in order to catch the small
percentage of people doing the wrong thing?

That the innocent majority should suffer so that the illegitimate majority
can just find another loophole that will protect them as they continue on
their merry way doing the wrong thing/s anyway?

Where have I heard this before...