[AusNOG] Australian senate passes controversial anti-piracy, website-blocking laws

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Jun 24 18:38:58 EST 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 05:16:58PM +1000, Paul Wilkins wrote:

 > > None of you will be able to comply with any of the orders authorized
 > > by this legislation, and, as you fail, there'll be a record of it.
 >
 > In fairness, we can't say until we've seen the orders. We may see something
 > more "reasonable".

The legislation is for orders to require you to prevent access to
sites facilitating copyright infringement.

You will not be able to prevent access to sites facilitating
copyright infringemet.

Therefore one two things will happen:

1. The orders will be "tick the box" requiring you to do nothing
substantial. I cannot see that rightsholders will be happy with that;
If it happens, they'll be back lobbying Parliament again for "stronger"
laws, and we'll go through this all over again in 2 years time; or

2. The orders will have teeth, and you will fail to comply with them.

I don't think rightsholders will have a problem with (2), because they
don't actually want you to be in business at all.   If they can take
you out by nuking you for noncompliance, that'd be a good outcome for
them, and for the Government.

  - mark