[AusNOG] Zettagrid Sydney Offline

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Jun 24 17:24:48 EST 2015

On 24/06/2015 3:09 PM, Shane Short wrote:
> What about on different continents? There could be some kind of catastrophic act of
> god that wipes out both facilities? Oh.. separate hemispheres too, to protect you
> against freak storm events..

Yep - thats exactly why Google and AWS zones are scattered across the planet. Not so
much from a facility point of view, but it helps having a 'local' node for local
customers to operate from if you've lost connectivity between nodes, such as common
cable cut scenario (undersea earthquake off Phillipines took out 6 different submarine
cables simultaneously) type event.

> At some point you play the odds. How many times has the aforementioned "global
> fuckup" happened?
As it happened it wasn't service-affecting - it took out the '-2' router in each pair
in each city, the other one carried on, and nobody noticed.
Did cause some white knuckles though.