[AusNOG] Zettagrid Sydney Offline

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Jun 24 14:39:53 EST 2015

On 24/06/2015 2:25 PM, Tim Raphael wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org
> <mailto:newton at atdot.dotat.org>> wrote:
>

>     If you aren't provider-diverse, you aren't diverse.
>
>       - mark
>

> And ideally location diverse too for the purposes of DR. The latency between Sydney
> and Melbourne for a lot of our customers is so negligible at the application layer
> that they buy two vDCs, one in each of our Availability Zones and connect them
> together via our MPLS services. Each zone in our case is completely independent at
> the infrastructure level.

Are the zones monitored by independent NOCs, and operated by completely diverse NOC
engineers so the same finger-fumble or automated provisioning tool can't be applied to
configs in both locations?

I've seen someone press 'commit' to a router config script with a typo  that proceeded
to take down approx. 45 routers across 20-something countries. Each country was
completely independent at the infrastructure level then, too.

+1 What Mark said above. If your multiple diverse services stem ultimately from the
same boardroom table, you aren't diverse.

Paul.