[AusNOG] Australian senate passes controversial anti-piracy, website-blocking laws

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 17:09:28 EST 2015

I haven't read the Copyright Act 1968 in its entirety (and perhaps I
should), but it looks like (ianal), legal remedies are as:

116AG       (3)  For an infringement of copyright that occurs in the course
of the carrying out of a Category A activity, the relief that a court may
grant against a carriage service provider is limited to one or more of the
following orders:

                     (a)  an order requiring the carriage service provider
to take reasonable steps to disable access to an online location outside
Australia;

                     (b)  an order requiring the carriage service provider
to terminate a specified account.
I doubt on the strength of that, courts will go further than orders to
terminate specific accounts. What's a bit sneaky, is the courts may rely on
data retention records in identifying infringing accounts.

(I'm not a lawyer. This is not expert opinion)

Paul Wilkins