[AusNOG] From the AGD - Data Retention - Starts October 15 2015

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 02:07:51 EST 2015

Paul,
Agree for the most part, only:

1 - Dark fibre isn't covered. If it's not lit, there's no EMF.

2 - MPLS isn't covered. The immediate circle exclusion of 187B(1)(a)(i)
will apply unless you're doing inter carrier.

3 - At layers above IP (email/web/voip), whether this is a communication,
or the contents of a communication, is one for the lawyers to sort out.
There are going to be some big lunches.

4 - Switching per the 1997 Telco Act is both a communication (between a
person and a person), and 2 communications (between a thing and a thing)
(see definition of communication in section 7 of 1997 Telco Act)

(I am not a lawyer. This is not expert legal opinion)

Paul Wilkins