[AusNOG] From the AGD - Data Retention - Starts October 15 2015

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jun 16 09:24:55 EST 2015

So I dont repeat myself, cause I really f'in hate that, this will be the
last reply at least until I get past the 40 odd still sitting in my
inbox :) see my previous "it doesnt mater who you are, if you provide
Email, you must comply." because it is treated separately from if your
SP or not.

On 10/06/2015 15:07, Paul Brooks wrote:

> On 10/06/2015 10:16 AM, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> On 10/06/2015 10:10, Joseph Goldman wrote: From reading those pages it seems to indicated source, destination, time and type of the communication. Perfect job for this appears to be netflow data - netflow itself holds a lot more information that may not be necessary but it seems to be the best way to pull that information at a quick glance, no?
>
> That is for voice, read it carefully. Yes for voice they want to know from and to, but for internet, only who has what IP at what time and their life story including payment history and a total, I guess monthly, of that users used quota, a one line per month total entry in a DB, which one assumes is in your billing system already anyway, they certainly do not want to know how many times you logged onto twitter or youtube or if you ever visited watchingthegrassgrow.com

What Noel said.

Note also that 'source' and 'destination' addresses or identifies are
relative to the service under consideration. If you are working out your
obligations for a VoIP service, then source and destination are
telephone numbers or SIP addresses. Just as would appear in your SIP
logs.
If you are thinking about email, then source and destinatation are email
addresses. Now, if you also know IP address (which you might do for an
email source address, coming from one of your own users) then you
include that. For destination email its highly unlikely you'll have any
idea what the destination's IP address will be, especially after its
been relayed a few times - so you don't need to include it if you don't
know it.

For basic Internet Access service, then its essentially whats in RADIUS
logs. Date/time the connection came up, when it dropped, the IP
addresses you allocated to it (static or dynamic), and account
information for the account holder. Maybe traffic volume bytecount for
the session.

Links:
------