[AusNOG] Filtering of downstream transit customer routes via RPF

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Mon Jun 15 22:23:40 EST 2015

Hey all,

We had a bit of a debate this morning in the office around what was the “right" way to handle RPF on downstream customer links; i.e. should it be loose or strict mode.

As we have engineers who are, for valid reasons, diametrically opposed; and we seem to have conflicting statements as to what our various upstreams do and don’t do.

I’m all for opening cans of worms; so what do other network operators think the “right” way to treat ingress filtering on downstream customer links is? Bonus points for references to documents we should have read, that set out how we should do our jobs :)

Thanks,
Andrew