[AusNOG] Thanks to Glen Turner

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Mon Jun 15 11:41:22 EST 2015

> ... his CWDM talk from Linux.conf.au in 2013

Slides are at
http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/presentations/2013-01-28-linuxconfau-cwdm/

This was really an attempt to say to systems administrators "here's a
technology from the non-ethernet world which you should be aware exists,
and here's basically how it works so you can see if it will -- at first
approximation -- suit your networking problem".

I deliberately didn't add complexity by discussing 10Gbps and above, as
the talk was quite short (and it was very generous for the organiser of a
miniconf on *Linux* systems administration to give me any time at all). If
I were to give this talk today I've additionally cover the options for
passive WDM for 10Gbps, 40Gbps and above; and I'd cover a lot more of the
combinations, such as 1310+CWDM (which in turn would alter the fibre
recommendation in that talk).

I'd suggest to people that when they install a inter-site dark fibre of
more than a few kilometres that they spend the additional $5K to install a
pair of 1310gray+CWDM muxes, noting that no additional muxing is needed
for this to carry 1 x 40/100GBase-LR4 plus 3 x 10GBase-DWDM plus 5 x
1000Base-CWDM.

If there is interest I'd be happy to give a more in-depth talk for AusNOG
(I think the call for papers for this year has closed, so next year).
Although I'd expect that one of the optical equipment wholesalers
mentioned elsewhere in this thread would have more knowledge than myself.

-glen

--
Glen Turner <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>