[AusNOG] If you're not filtering then you're part of the problem.

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Jun 13 20:42:13 EST 2015

On 13 Jun 2015, at 16:34, Paul Brooks wrote:

> I hope none of the security-paranoid on this list actually click on a
> random anonymous
> link, or did it from a sand-box machine, regardless of who purportedly
> sent it to the
> list!

Indeed:

> [...]
> To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] CA Data Retention costs letter to Ministers
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:54:26 +1100
>
> On 16/03/2015 5:09 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
>>
>> If its the same letter I've read, then yes it does, the only concern
>> outlined is
>> costs, not any argument against the Bill itself.
>>

> And do you really think that other concerns haven't been communicated
> over the past
> few months?
>
> Thanks for all those that were able to support the letter
> (http://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/1m08mi/Data_retention_letter.pdf), and
> also to all
> those that wanted to but weren't able to get back before the tight
> deadline.
>

>> The final letter is attached - we did manage to get some AUSNOGGERs
>> on board ,which
>> was good
>>
>> Happy to keep you in the loop on the next chapters of this mess if
>> you would like.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> *John Stanton*
>> *CEO* | Communications Alliance Ltd | Level 12/75 Miller St | North
>> Sydney NSW 2060
>> P: 02 9959 9130   M: 0434 318 777 | stanton at commsalliance.com.au
>> <mailto:stanton at commsalliance.com.au>| www.commsalliance.com.au
>> <http://www.commsalliance.com.au/>
>
> Paul.
>

> From: Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>
> To: ausnog at ausnog.net <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
> Subject: [AusNOG] Thodey to step down as Telstra CEO
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 08:49:23 +1100
>
> This might not be so operational, but its Friday....
>
> Reports in Fairfax papers that David Thodey is retiring after 6 years
> in the top job,
> to be replaced by Andrew Penn - currently CFO & Group Executive
> International.,
> effective May 1.
> http://www.smh.com.au/business/telstra-appoints-andrew-penn-as-chief-executive-officer-20150220-13jxqd.html
>
> Telstra ASX release is at
> http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20150220/pdf/42wqt4yk09q7pb.pdf
>
> Love or hate Telstra, David Thodey's tenure will be long remembered as
> a positive
> period in Telstra's history and the industry.
>

> Paul.
>

> From: Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>
> To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:13:34 +1100
>
> Still no clarity over any of the 10 Questions about metadata retention
> we (ISOC-AU)
> put to them back in August.
> And no public exposure draft for anyone to comment on prior to
> introducing the bill
> into Parliament - just 'wham'.
>
> http://www.internet.org.au/Media/ISOC-AU_Ten_questions_metadata_retention20140806.pdf
>
> - maybe raise some of them when talking with your local MP of

The security-conscious (there's a difference) on this list know that
clicking on *any* link, irrespective of URI/domain, has associated risks
and to take proper technical precautions:

They know how to contact both the list moderators and other posters
out-of-band if there are genuine security concerns about anything posted
to this list.

They can also distinguish between posts which are useful, informational,
and collegial, and those which are not.