[AusNOG] From the AGD - Data Retention - Starts October 15 2015

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Jun 11 00:28:48 EST 2015

On Jun 10, 2015, at 9:28 AM, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> I wonder how much realistically that $131.3 mill will be split and provided - but ultimately it looks like for the most part, Netflow data married with IP history to a subscriber will cover the broad strokes.

Why would you gather netflow data?

IP history comes from Radius.  Other service history comes from logfiles associated with those services.

If you’re retaining my netflow data, you’re retaining information about things I’m communicating with which are outside AGD’s specified data set.  I’m going to get pretty upset and annoyed about that unlawful snooping, and I’ll wonder how insane an ISP would have to be to want to get involved in that level of detail.

You people need to get legal advice. If geeks are making decision about which data gets retained, you’re comprehensively stuffing this up.

Get it together, you people. You’ve already squibbed on the campaign against it, and now you’re paying the price. For god’s sake, don’t squib the implementation too.

  - mark