[AusNOG] NBN - GPON encryption

Radek Tkaczyk radek at tkaczyk.id.au
Wed Jun 10 23:33:53 EST 2015

>> And all directional splitters have some back propagation.

Exactly – that is the problem we are investigating.

If there is no encryption on the upstream, then this can be intercepted.

What’s worse – is that if the encryption keys are sent in the clear on the upstream, then an attacker could in theory get those encryption keys, and then decrypt the downstream traffic as well.

I just hope I’m wrong about this….

Regards,

Radek Tkaczyk