[AusNOG] NBN - GPON encryption

Thomas Weible - FLEXOPTIX Thomas.Weible at flexoptix.net
Wed Jun 10 23:15:16 EST 2015

Hi Aftab,
I can't confirm if the upstream traffic is encrypted but in a GPON environment you only should concern about encryption of the downstream traffic:
Downstream is shared media for all subscribers connected to the splitted span (32 to 128 subscribers). Every subscriber gets all downstream traffic from the others - encryption needed.

For the upstream path the media is not shared.

> It is shared media as well.

you're right. The term "shared media" is not correct in this context. I basically wanted to say that subscriber A doesn't have to worry that subscriber B-Z get its upstream signal.

You have a "dedicated" upstream path from your ONU to NBNs OLT. The other subscribers don't get your upstream traffic - only looking at the physics.

> Its TDM to be specific.

yes. Thanks

Thomas