[AusNOG] From the AGD - Data Retention - Starts October 15 2015

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Jun 10 10:28:17 EST 2015

On 10/06/2015 10:15, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> I just had a quick read of the act - Would be nice if they actually gave a nice english document explaining who needs to keep data, who they need to keep it on (end users only, or all users?),

Everyone providing a service to someone not in your immediate circle.

For example, on my private connection, I provide a free text usenet
service enabling access to some AU ISP IP ranges, I do this because most
aussie ISP's have nuked their news servers, and I know that nobody wants
to pay for a text only service, so I allow access by IP addresses, I am
required to comply because I am regarded as a Service Provider under
Sect 86 of the Telco Act, by being determined a Content Service Provider
by sect 97 of the Telco Act. So if you provide any service, you need to
keep records.

> what services (seems to be any carriage service - adsl/efm/fibre/wifi/3g - and comms services such as voip ? But not things like vpn/webhosting/streaming audio/vds/dedi/etc ?), and exactly what data?

Webhosting certainly is included (well, so far as Emails and client info
etc)

http://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/Dataset.pdf
[1]

Links: