[AusNOG] vyatta netflow and AS export

Russell Brenner rbrenner at Brocade.com
Tue Jun 9 09:50:06 EST 2015

Hi Paul,

I don’t want to launch into a religious argument since I’m not a network operator myself, but most (all?) of our customers and my personal colleagues in the business are quite happy with sFlow billing and security (unless they’re harbouring resentment and haven’t told me :)).

Sflow is accurate for security purposes because it is simple enough to be performed in hardware. The sFlow is designed so that the accuracy of any measurement can be determined. Netflow tends to drop under heavy load, unless I’m mistaken.

So, on to the billing bit.

You don’t need to sample every single packet to get meaningful billing data, there’s not a great deal of benefit in doing so since the extra few percentage points don’t equate to serious gains, but quite large performance penalty (depending on the platform and media speed).

With sFlow you optimise the sample rate in order to meet the desired level of accuracy and this is done by varying the number of samples collected.

The accuracy is a function of the number of samples collected and the duration of the monitoring period.

Further improvements in accuracy can be made by calculating the “confidence level” which is the width of the error window. In order to ensure that customers are not overcharged then the data point at the lower end of the confidence level should be used and this is a direct function of the number of samples collected and this can be calculated thus:

Percentage Error ≤ 196 x √(1/c) where c is the number of samples.

For example, if the number of samples is 10,000 then the error will be approximately ±2% so the amount charged for should be 98% of the total number of packets counted.

It is important to note that the accuracy of measurement does not depend on the total number of frames, but simply on the number of samples used to make the measurement. As the speed of the interface increases, the percentage of the total number of frames sampled can be reduced.

This is reflected in the default sampling rates we use on our devices (512/1024/2048 and 8192 for 100M/1G/10G/100G). Furthermore, accuracy can be improved by simply increasing the duration of the sample period until the required number of samples has been collected.

The sampling rate is the average ratio of the number of packets incoming on an sFlow-enabled port, to the number of flow samples taken from those packets. The sampling rate is a fraction in the form 1/N, meaning that, on average, one out of every N packets will be sampled.

Because the accuracy of the sFlow measurement is dependent only on the number of samples then increasing the accuracy is fairly simple simple, and any errors will be negligible.

Russell Brenner
Systems Engineer
Brocade
Suite 524, 1 Queens Road, Melbourne