[AusNOG] Hatteras redundancy

Richard Thornton richie.thornton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:32:23 EST 2015

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best mailing list but you have all been very
helpful in the past :)

Apologies if my knowledge is a bit sketchy, I am trying to visualise
how I can have "redundant" hatteras, let me paint a picture:

Rack in SY3
Dual routers and internet connections
Hatteras comes in to an hypervisor appliance over an ethernet VLAN on a switch

Right now I only have one hatteras circuit but that will grow.

So I want to add a second appliance to remove a single point of
failure and also add an extra switch for the same reason.

As you know one of the cool things about hatteras is the fact it looks
like layer 2 LAN (MPLS right), so I would rather not route the
hatteras after it's handed to me, so how do I get all this redundancy
without losing the layer 2.

So right now the hatteras is handed to me by a middle man, I may
remove the middle man and start doing the MPLS.

So like this:

circuit1   switch/router   appliance1    internet router1
            X                     X                  X
circuit2   switch/router   appliance2    internet router2

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
Richard